Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Layla Coral Glam

It's sort of dreary and rainy here today, so here is a holo mani from last week to bring some rainbows. This is from the Layla Hologram Effects collection (first set), and I absolutely adore these polishes.

Now (soapbox) I have heard tons of people complain about them being difficult to work with, but I have found that if you invest in some Aqua Base and let it dry beforehand, they apply like butter. I know it is a pain for some people because Aqua Base isn't readily available, but let me tell you...I was one of the nay-sayers myself for the longest time and refused to buy Aqua Base. I tried to use all of the other suggested methods for applying "finicky holos" such as the Make-Up Sore Holos, Layla Holos, Jessica Hologram and the Nfu-Oh holos, but when I FINALLY gave in and ordered Aqua Base...it changed my whole perception of these types of holos. I used to avoid them, but now I adore them because they are so super holo and the rainbows are worth the extra trouble of acquiring some Aqua Base, in my opinion. If you need some, they sell the Nfu-Oh brand at Fabulousstreet.com. I just don't want to people to write them off because they have tried them, but haven't been using them right. They are so amazing if you do!!

*steps down from soapbox*

Ok so...for my mani I used Layla Coral Glam. The name of this one has always thrown me off, because it is in no way coral. It is actually more of a peachy nude. I really loved this polish (which is odd, because I usually don't "love" nudes), but I found it to be super flattering. I even told someone that I felt like it made my nails and fingers look longer and more elegant (which is a stretch since I have such fat fingers, LOL!).

So here is 3 coats of Layla Coral Glam over 1 coat of Jessica Retro Revival Aqua Base (I let this dry for 10 minutes before applying the polish on top...though some people recommend 20-30 minutes)








I love when the light hits them from different angles and they throw off all sorts of pretty colors! This is with indoor light (my bathroom lights, actually).



Sorry for my soapbox, but I just adore these and I don't want ANYONE to miss out on how fantastic they can be!! Thanks for looking everyone!


8 comments:

  1. Pretty! I received my first Holos a couple weeks ago, but I'm waiting for better weather to wear them (I'm on the other side of the world where it's actually winter). They are Ludurana though, and I believe those are not finicky?

    I wasn't very much into holos, but now that I've seen them in person I'm converted. I guess it's one of those things you have to try yourself to really appreciate.

    Coral Glam looks fabulous on you! It's the one I was going to order from eBay but when I get to get it, poof, it had disappeared :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope you are able to find Coral Glam! And yes, the Luduranas are not finicky at all, so no need for special base coat with those! That is terrific, and I hope that you love them! You might end up holo obsessed like me one day! LOL!

      Delete
  2. What about chipping? I have 4 Layla holos and they all chip within, I swear, 2 hours of application. Are you having that issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These type of holos do tend to chip more than other types, but I usually get a good day of wear out of them with Aqua Base. That is fine for me, because I change my polish almost every day. I have heard others say that they get longer wear, but I haven't really tested it to be honest. I would go in with the expectation that these polishes are not going to get the same wear as normal polishes and if you are ok with that, then get them. If that bothers you, I would say stick to the non-finicky holos. Just depends on what you are comfortable with, I think!

      Delete
    2. I guess I'll just need to break down and get an Aqua base. I'd be fine if I could get a full day's wear, as I also frequently change my polish, but this 2 hour business has to go!

      Delete
  3. This is pretty! I don't usually go for nudes but this one is really nice. I just got Aqua Base and it does make a difference. I probably should have let it dry longer than I did (didn't know it had to be dry, oops) but it helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...it is a fun nude! Yeah, I have done that too and if you don't let it dry enough, this weird cracking things happens with the polish. But if you let it dry long enough...man...the difference it makes with application is like night and day!

      Delete
  4. Haha, I totally thought my fingers looked less fat when I wore this one too!! My frustration with the Layla's is the chunky formula - I have had to thin all of mine because there are chunks of pigment in them! I bought them all at the same time, from Ave You - not sure if I got bad batches or what. However, thinner and a ton of shaking have made them all really easy to apply over Aqua Base. The chipping after a day is a bit frustrating, just because I want to look at the rainbows longer! :D

    ReplyDelete